Monday, July 7, 2014

LGBT. We give a damn.



Many people around the world are unfairly treated because of their race, religion, sexual preference and so on. Recently, I read somebody's story on his experience from being judged for being bisexual. His name is Alex Smith, he's eighteen years old and he struggled with discrimination. He was sixteen when he came out to his mother which didn't take it very well. "Her reaction was less than supportive. " he states in his story. He dated a girl to keep his mother happy. After his experience at a gay bar, he realized he was full on gay, not bisexual. He didn't know how his parents and girlfriend would react to this so his lack of confidence made him go into a deep depression; " I could not stop thinking about how my parents would disown me and how my girlfriend/best friend would hate me." . His depression got so bad, he ended up drinking bottles of medicine to end his life. The only thing he remembered was him waking up in a hospital because of his overdose. He confessed to his parents that he was gay and surprisingly, they both took it well. A few other stories i read like Zack Petrick's story about "discrimination in the workplace and housing." he explains how he felt bitter about not being able to come out to his friends or family and admit that he is gay. Another story that touched me was Mathew Shurka's, in which he explains to us his experience coming out to his parents. "My name is Matthew Shurka, I’m from Great Neck, New York, I’m 26 years old, and when I was 16, I came out to my father. My father gave me the best answer that any son can ask for, was that he loved me no matter what, and that he was going to be by my side always. But immediately after, my father started to build his fears about homosexuality, and what it actually meant, and what it looked like for my family, career – possibly being discriminated and being bullied against as a high school student – and he came across a conversion therapist. My father was told that there’s no such thing as homosexuality, and that everyone is a heterosexual. There are certain people who believe they’re gay, but they’re just suffering from a psychological condition that can be cured and that can be resolved, especially at a young age. So, at 16 years old, I began conversion therapy.". Discrimination towards gay people is getting worse. Parents being unable to understand and accept their children makes children feel like they're doing something wrong. Hopefully one day we can all just agree that everyone has their preference and stop discrimination and give more support. What are your thoughts on gay rights and gay discrimination? Is it unfair or do you agree?



http://www.wegiveadamn.org/2013/09/my-great-escape-2/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU1CnkdPdPk
http://imfromdriftwood.com/mathew_shurka/




5 comments:

  1. I hate when parents don't accept their homosexual children for who they are. It's a shame.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I accept all sexualities and will be equally disgusted if two people kisses around me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Straight or gay, people still suck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think everyone should be treated equally because not everyone is the same. Great work!

    ReplyDelete